Often we are in a rush and don't have enough time in the morning to carry out a thorough skin care routine, and we can feel too tired to indulge in a long beauty routine before bedtime, but as we get older, we still want healthy, youthful looking skin to help give us confidence to face the world each day. Although it's said that beauty is only skin deep, having good skin is also about what's on top of the skin, as well as underneath it.
It's important to cleanse your skin, whether it's before applying moisturiser in the morning or in the evening when you take off your make-up. Thoroughly removing make-up and dirt that's accumulated on the skin throughout the day is essential, as anything remaining on your face can clog up the pores if it's not completely removed. Use a cleanser that suits your skin type; oily, dry or sensitive skin. Always wash your face in lukewarm water, as water that's either too cold or too hot can cause spider veins.
Don't forget the neck
We tend to concentrate more on the face during our skin care routine, forgetting about the neck. It can look slightly odd if the neck looks old, with wrinkly crepe looking skin, but your face looks more refreshed and youthful. When you're applying products to the face, make sure your skin care routine extends to the neck as well.
Remove dead skin
It's important to exfoliate the skin on a weekly basis, to keep a youthful glow. It doesn't have to take much time out of our daily routine; a facial wash, cleanser on a wash cloth or a body scrub while you shower. We should exfoliate more regularly as our skin ages, as exfoliation will remove the dead skin and boost the cell-turnover.
Remember the basics of skin care:
- Cleanse, moisturise, exfoliate and apply sunscreen.
- Use natural skin care products without added chemicals.
- Remove your make-up at night to avoid clogged pores.
- Don't touch the face unnecessarily.
- Drink plenty of water as it keeps the skin cells hydrated and free of acne.
- Alcohol, smoking and drugs can do major damage to your health and your skin cells.
- Get enough sleep and try not to stress yourself out.
- Exercise, as this allows blood to circulate through your cells, deterring early ageing.
It doesn't take much to get healthy skin and keep it looking beautiful, and if you follow a basic skin care routine, your skin will glow and look its best. Professional treatments such as chemical peels and microdermabrasion offer deeper treatments which translates into more impressive and lasting results.